Browsing through the iOS 5 features list, I can’t help but notice a lot of it is catch up. Having owned both an iPhone and an Android for a considerable amount of time, I figured I would jot down my opinions.
- Notification Center – Completely ripped off from Android but looks good and is a much needed addition
- iMessage – This is very interesting as most people who would think it’s cool, probably really wouldn’t understand the significance. Basically, Apple is adding an IM application to iOS. Now iPhone / iPad users can sit around messaging each other how cool it is like Crackberry users circa 2003. I guess the only real improvement over MMS is that you can easily setup groups, see when each other are typing, and don’t incur text messaging charges; at the expense of leaving your non-iOS buddies out (who wants to talk to those losers anyways?).
- Newstand – An app update and not an OS one (Apple typically doesn’t make distinctions). It all seems like stuff my current Nook stuff will do. Note: I did look to compare prices but it seems that information is not available without downloading iTunes. lame.
- Reminders – TODO lists are ho hum, but the ability to have reminders when you arrive or leave a position is pretty cool.
- Twitter integration – The fact that the best Apple can come up with is ‘one at a timing’ online service integration is laughable at best.
- Camera – Can control it from the lock screen. Now you’ll have tons of pocket lint photos in your iCloud to go along with the wicked shot of that cheetah that just unexpectedly ran by your apartment.
- Photos – Speaking of iCloud, all of your devices photos will be synced through it. That’s cool I guess, not sure if Android will do the same.
- Safari – What? You haven’t been reading rss feeds on your device this whole time? Something tells me you aren’t about to start.
- PC Free – Finely Apple untethers the iPhone. What took them so long?
- Game Center – This should be an interesting service. Attention Apple fanboys immediately forget how they are blatantly copying Microsoft achievements (at least rename them).
- Wifi Sync – Just couldn’t cut the cord completely could they? For what it’s worth, the Zune has been doing this for 5 years now.
All in all a pretty big update. Mostly iCloud. Mostly keeping up the mobile status quo. As an Android user, I can’t say there is anything I am envious of.