A year ago I wrote a post listing my professional goals for 2011. I thought I would review them and see how I did.
- Release an Android app to the marketplace – Didn’t do it. In fact, haven’t really touched Android much since I wrote that. I still have some ideas but am not sure if I will get around to it.
- Contribute free software to the community – I did do this. I have been collaborating with others via github more lately.
- Regularly attend a user group meetings outside of Java – Did not do this. Family life being what it is makes this not that much of a priority right now.
- Obtain the Oracle Certified Web Developer Certification – Did not do this. This is not much of a priority to me any more.
- Learn scala – I am about 50/50 on this one. I read a few scala books but did not write an actual application.
- Write an app using JSF – Did not do this. Still interested.
- Present at a user group meeting – I did a Maven presentation at the Java user group.
- Use git more, and more effectively – Definitely did this. Using it on a daily basis now.
Overall, I got about halfway on my goals. It’s not too bad since I did do a few things that weren’t on my list.
- Learned to develop applications using GWT and deploy them to Google App Engine
- Converted one of my sites from PHP to Ruby / Sinatra (learning to use it in the process)